Councillor J R Johnson Memorial
After the outbreaks of cholera in London in the early and mid 19th century there became a drive to provide urban infrastructure with clean drinking water. Many of these were built in parks, often as a commemoration to someone.
The one in Bowling park was paid for by public subscription, and unveiled by the Mayor, Coun J Whitley in July 1894.
The former water fountain is dedicated to Councillor J R Johnson. He heroically played a leading part in helping to carry 55 patients to safety from a fire at the Bradford fever hospital on Leeds road before it was destroyed. Sadly he died of smallpox three weeks later.